I wanted to do another blog on natural medicine. I spoke about the book, Natural Medicine Encyclopedia by Vance Ferrel and Dr. Harold M. Cherne in my previous blog post on Irregular periods. This time I wanted to write about something that is also common, and that is constipation. I will also share my thoughts and some of the remedies that are in the book.
Constipation is common, and a lot of people struggle with managing it. There are different reasons why a person may be constipated. It can be due to dehydration, diet, old age, too much fiber, certain medications, not enough movement, and so many other reasons. Constipation can become chronic and may even cause some people to have hemorrhoids, which can be very painful for them.
Below are the symptoms, causes, and natural remedies, which you can also find in the book I mentioned earlier.
Symptoms: Stools are hard, dry, and infrequent. It is difficult to have a bowel movement. Other symptoms may include abdominal discomfort, lack of energy, dull headache, poor appetite, and low back pain.
Some Causes: The bowels should move daily, ideally, after each meal. When this does not happen, waste material moves too slowly through the large intestine. Elimination becomes painful, and the system reabsorbs toxins. Placing an overload on the liver and kidneys. All waste in the body should be expelled within 18-24 hours. Constipation tends to be common during pregnancy.
Older people often have constipation because they are not drinking enough water: Alternative diarrhea and constipation may point to irritable bowel syndrome.
- Include enough fiber in your diet each day; drink enough water. Get enough exercise, especially outdoors, so you can get enough fresh air. Avoid poisonous substances and emotional tension. Relax. Be thankful to God for your blessings, and take time to be a blessing to others.
- Also, when you take in your fiber, make sure you drink plenty of water as well, too much fiber and very little water can cause constipation-have a right balance with both fiber and water to match.
- As soon as you awake, start drinking warm water, a little at a time. By the time you are ready for breakfast, you should have taken at least a quart. Faithfully follow this regime, and you will develop regularity in your morning bowel movement.
- Eat prunes or figs, Drink Prune Juice. Flaxseed meal is helpful. Both will soften your stools.
Beta carotene or carrot juice will maintain the health of the intestinal lining. Acidophilus will keep the large bowels healthy.
- For quick relief, drink a large glass of water every 30 minutes until you have a bowel movement.
What to avoid:
- avoid concentrated foods, such as meats, sugar, and cheese.
- Iron supplements cause constipation as well as pain killer medications.
- Dairy foods, soft drinks,white flour, alcohol, and sugary foods can also cause constipation.